To: Robert Martin-Legene <robert@dk-hostmaster.dk>
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Zefram <zefram@fysh.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:02:20 +0100
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: delegation-only ineffective

Robert Martin-Legene wrote:
>Depending on where you are, one might argue that certain ccTLD zones
>really are more critical than any of the gTLD's. I don't think you'll be
>able to phrase it very well.

RFC 2870 already speaks of being useful to "[o]ther major zone server
operators (gTLDs, ccTLDs, major zones)", and RFC 3172 explicitly
applies the full force of RFC 2870 to ARPA.  I had these in mind when
speaking of "similarly critical" zones.  Whether there should be a formal
requirement to apply RFC 2870 (or some weakened subset of it) to gTLDs is
an interesting matter; the trend certainly seems to be in that direction.

>Also, some TLD registries doesn't want anyone to have copies of the entire
>zone, so they choose to run all servers themselves.

That's something it would be nice to stop.  DNS data is supposed to
be public.  (Yes, I know, I'm an idealist.)  If a formal requirement for
independent entities to be able to serve the zone prevents this kind of
secrecy, that'd be a nice bonus.

-zefram