To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:13:54 +0859 ()
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: delegation-only ineffective

It is rather an oprational than a protocol issue, I'm posting
to DNSOP.

At

	http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/delegation-only.html

it is stated that:

	a patch for BIND to support the declaration of "delegation-only"
	zones in caching/recursive name servers. Briefly, a zone which
	has been declared "delegation-only" will be effectively limited
	to containing NS RRs for subdomains, but no actual data outside
	its apex (for example, its SOA RR and apex NS RRset). This can
	be used to filter out "wildcard" or "synthesized" data from NAT
	boxes or from authoritative name servers whose undelegated
	(in-zone) data is of no interest.

However, it is ineffective as a protection against synthesized NS
and synthesized child zone contents from NAT boxes or from authoritative
name servers whose undelegated (in-zone) data is of no interest.

As for wildcarding, you can argue that synthesis is more evil than
wildcarding. However those who put undesired wildcard do not mind
and will perform equivalently effective undesired systhesis.

							Masataka Ohta