To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Rob Austein <sra+dnsop@hactrn.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 19:44:39 -0400
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: RFC2553 API: getnameinfo: ambiguous result due to malicious PTR setting

[ipng mailing list cc dropped due to posting restrictions, don't ask]

I suppose you might add another flag bit to control whether or not
getnameinfo() rejects the form of PTR RR you're worried about.
Interfering with DNS diagnostic code doesn't particularly worry me,
since DNS diagnostic tools probably don't use this API anyway.  But
once your API starts down the path of trying to figure out what a
"bad" PTR RR looks like, forever will it dominate your destiny.

The real problem here is that the getnameinfo() API has two very
different ways of generating results that indistinguishable to the
caller.  There really ought to be another return value which tells you
how getnameinfo() ended up generating the text string.