To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Paul Vixie <vixie@vix.com>
Date: 06 Aug 2003 23:03:41 +0000
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: the well-known address approach

sra+dnsop@hactrn.net (Rob Austein) writes:

> Ignoring irrelevant issues (eg, the IPv6 Site-Local swamp), I still
> have concerns with the well-known address approach:

I agree with Rob's objections to this approach.  Asking for a well known
address for DNS begs questions like, why do we need to use IRDP or DHCP to
tell a host its default router -- we can just designate the all-zeroes
address in any given subnet for "default route service".  And so on.  This
way lies madness, and we need a layer of indirection where policy can be
localized.
--
Paul Vixie