To: "Rob Austein" <sra+dnsop@hactrn.net>
Cc: <dnsop@cafax.se>, <hinden@iprg.nokia.com>
From: "Jaehoon Paul Jeong" <paul@etri.re.kr>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 14:35:19 +0900
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Policy of IPv6 DNS Discovery

Thanks for your prompt answers.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob Austein" <sra+dnsop@hactrn.net>
To: <dnsop@cafax.se>
Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 12:07 PM

> At Mon, 4 Aug 2003 10:47:24 +0900, Jaehoon Jeong wrote:
> >
> > 1. Do you mean that RA-based DNS Discovery is out of scope in DNSOP wg?
>
> I have already answered this question, more than once:
>
>   Discussion of new protocol extensions (such as your draft) will be in
>   scope (for some WG, probably not DNSOP) if and only if the
>   requirements discussion concludes that there's a gap between real
>   requirements and existing protocols.
>
> Serious question, not intended as sarcasm: is there some part of the
> previous sentence which you do not understand?

Now, I CAN unterstand your intention exactly.
Where can we discuss new protocol extensions if neither in IPv6 wg, nor in DNSOP wg?
This is a question for all DNSOP members except for you.

> > 2. Do you think that DHCPv6-lite is necessary in the environment where DHCPv6 exists?
> >
> > For the second question, IMHO, in such a case, DHCPv6-lite is unnecessary.
> > RA-based approach seeks to harmonize with DHCPv6.
>
> DHCPv6-lite is a subset of DHCPv6; therefore, by definition, if one
> has DHCPv6, one also has DHCPv6-lite, and a DHCPv6-lite client doesn't
> care whether the server(s) that answer it are DHCPv6 or DHCPv6-lite.

If DHCPv6-lite is a subnet of DHCPv6, there may be no problem that RA-based DNS Discovery
coexists with DHCPv6 like in ND spec.
A significant number of people, including me, really want RA-based DNS Discovery.
I think, they know the usefulness and operation of DHCPv6.
At least my company has implemented DHCPv6 client/server fully.

I think, I did my best to appeal the necessity of RA-based DNS Discovery,
although I could not express my opinions well enough because of the limitation of Non-English speaker.

If there is proper reason RA-based DNS Discovery SHOULD NOT coexist with DHCPv6,
I will also rescind my concerns about RA-based DNS Discovery.
Thanks.

/Jaehoon Paul