To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Rob Austein <sra+dnsop@hactrn.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 10:55:44 -0400
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: avoiding proxies

<hat wg-co-chair=off just-another-bozo-on-this-bus=on>

At Wed, 30 Jul 2003 09:05:35 -0500, Eric A. Hall wrote:

> From my point of view, the problem with mandating the use of either of
> these solutions is that they would both introduce the use of mandatory
> proxies to some extent, and would prevent the application-layer DNS from
> working in their absence. This is a bad idea, in my opinion, as it
> interferes with several basic design tenets.

One can chose to co-locate a DHCP-lite server with the DNS name
server, at which point DHCP is no longer a proxy by the definition you
appear to be using.  There's still some involvment by the router in
everything but the single subnet case, but that's unavoidable (in
kind, anyway -- one can argue about the degree of router involvement).

</hat>