To: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>, Syam Madanapalli <smadanapalli@yahoo.com>
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Daniel Senie <dts@senie.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 22:50:07 -0400
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: proposal for a compromise on DNS discovery

At 04:36 PM 7/25/2003, Michael Richardson wrote:

>     Syam> I think the following approach probably will yield a
>     Syam> better method for DNS Discovery.
>
>     Syam> As DHCP may not be available in all netwokrs
>     Syam> especially in small networks like Home Networks,
>
>   But, a DNS server will be?

Reality check: home networks are, if connected to the Internet, attached
via a gatewaying device. The de vice of choice for a large number of
networks is a $60 router from on of any number of vendors. These boxes
provide DHCP, DNS forwarding and NAT. Perhaps some other environment would
provide a better strawman? DHCP is pretty prevalent in home networks.