To: Jaehoon Jeong <paul@etri.re.kr>
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Alain Durand <Alain.Durand@Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 01:20:19 -0700
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: DNS discovery discussion

On Thursday, July 17, 2003, at 05:42 PM, Jaehoon Jeong wrote:
> In current Cisco router, we configure the addresses of recursive DNS
> servers for its own name resolution.
> Therefore, the DNS servers' addresses have already been configured. We
> only have to use the information
> so as to announce DNS information through RA message.

You could do the very same thing using DHCPv6-lite. The information is
there,
it is flowing from the router to the node downstream, in a push or pull
mode.
It really is just a question of packet format. Using the multicast
extension
to DHCPv6-lite I suggested few days ago, there isn't really any
difference
between the 2 approaches with regard to pass the DNS recursive server
address.
The advantage of the DHCPv6 approach is that you can pass other
configuration
information, like the address of the NTP server.

> I think DNS discovery is indispensible in IPv6, as you know. RA camp
> including me continues to appeal
> the need of RA-based DNS discovery for IPv6 working more flexibly even
> in the environment
> where there is no DHCPv6.

The RA camp keeps making the false assumption that using the
DHCPv6-lite protocol to do this
requires to have a big-iron DHCPv6 server on the network. This simply
is not true.

	- Alain.