To: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
cc: Alain Durand <Alain.Durand@sun.com>, dnsop@cafax.se, rdroms@cisco.com
From: Francis Dupont <Francis.Dupont@enst-bretagne.fr>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:22:04 +0200
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: proposal for a compromise on DNS discovery

 In your previous mail you wrote:

   >    How many of the crypto things you know can be autoconfigured?
   >
   > => my answer to the proper question "how many of devices which
   > can be autoconfigured and don't use any crypto thing I know?"
   > is none for recent (i.e., in this century) devices.

   Yours is an improper question.

=> my argument is that autoconfigurated devices use crypto things,
crypto things need a time service, then the question of autoconfiguration
of time service is sound. I didn't speak about autoconfiguration of
crypto things (i.e., this is a different problem: it should be
discussed in another threat and likely in another list).

   Using autoconfiguration on non crypt things is fine.

   However, devices using crypto thing is secure only if they do not use
   autoconfiguration of the crypto thing.

=> no, my argument is they are not secure if they can't access to a
time service.

Regards

Francis.Dupont@enst-bretagne.fr