To: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
cc: Alain Durand <Alain.Durand@Sun.COM>, dnsop@cafax.se, rdroms@cisco.com
From: Francis Dupont <Francis.Dupont@enst-bretagne.fr>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 17:00:42 +0200
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: proposal for a compromise on DNS discovery

 In your previous mail you wrote:

   Alain;

   Before trying to compromise, can you, at least, clarify
   your requirement?

   > - DHCPv6 can also pass the address of the NTP server

   I think NTP configuration is obsoleted.

=> all the crypto things I know are valid only at limited amount
of time. In fact the military measure of a secret is the duration
one can expect it will remain secret. So as soon as there is
some kind of security involved in the network (and it should be :-),
it is critical to have a good and secure source of the current date.
The protocol which provides this is NTP: it synchronizes all boxes
(i.e., all boxes have the same time) and with a good reference
it can synchronize all boxes to the right time.

Therefore NTP is a part of the initial service discovery stuff (IMHO
this has nothing to do in the dnsop WG as it can't be restricted to
DNS server discovery, but the IPv6 WG already tried to solve the whole
issue and failed...).

Regards

Francis.Dupont@enst-bretagne.fr

PS: NTP is very useful for management too, an argument I used many
(~10) years ago when I was at the head of the RIPE DNS TF to
recommend to make all routers (the active equipments at this time)
NTP clients or peers.
PPS: Obviously there is a bootstrap problem with secure NTP.