To: dns op wg <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: Donald Eastlake 3rd <dee3@torque.pothole.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 21:25:09 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: example.com

I wouldn't have bothered writing and pushing through the RFC if I didn't
think it was reasonably important. Using real existing domain names can
lead to operational problems such a denial of service, if some test or
example is buggy and runs on the real internet and it may also lead to
legal liability if it somehow interferes with a company's operations or
is considered to dilute their trade mark.

Of course, there are rare cases, usually in DNS related documents, where
you need a country code example or something, in which case you just do
the best you can. (Earlier drafts of the document reserved one of the
"local use" country codes that ISO says it will never assign to a
country but Postel nixed all but the four TLDs listed in the RFC.)

Thanks,
Donald
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd                       dee3@torque.pothole.com
 155 Beaver Street              +1-508-634-2066(h) +1-508-851-8280(w)
 Milford, MA 01757 USA                   Donald.Eastlake@motorola.com