To: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
cc: Daniel Senie <dts@senie.com>, <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: Dean Anderson <dean@av8.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 22:41:27 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required-04.txt

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003, Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 12:26 PM -0400 2003/04/11, Dean Anderson wrote:
>
> >  I have an idea. Some people have created nameserver extensions that
> >  automatically create an A record response to queries of a certain form
> >  h-<ipaddress>.theirzone, and likewise handle in-addr.arpa queries to
> >  return names of this format.  These responses are generated from the
> >  contents of the query, so no maintanence is required.
>
> 	Doesn't work.  This removes control over the data from the person
> who has been assigned the space.

Who needs control when you have consistency?

> >  Since we know the answer from the contents of both these queries, we can
> >  push this functionality into the resolver, so that the nameserver isn't
> >  bothered having to respond to these trivial queries.  With a couple
> >  special cases added to the resolver, everyone is happy. Much load is
> >  removed from nameservers, and the people who want consistent responses to
> >  in-addr, have them.
>
> 	Also doesn't work.

Why? Are you saying this can't be programmed into the resolver?

Its seems that when you say "doesn't work", you really mean "I don't want
that". (followed by wah, wah, wah).

> 	Since you are so into making optimizations, let's try this --
> since everything liquid or solid going into your body is only going
> to come back out again, why not optimize this process and eliminate
> both the entrance and the exit?  Sure would make things a lot
> cleaner, in a whole lot of ways.

I have to give credit for this idea to you: Entrance and Exit are the
same, so they can be optimized away.