To: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: JINMEI Tatuya / $B?@L@C#:H(B <jinmei@isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 23:14:59 +0900
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required-04.txt

>> But it is not very clear what the "proper operation" means.

> 	"Proper operation" should also include any security-related functions.

>> I picked
>> up the examples of the discouraged usage from Section 3 based on my
>> understanding of the draft.  If I read it correctly, however, then I'd
>> wonder why people who seemed to want rely on such a usage
>> (e.g. rejecting ftp connections) are supporting the draft.

> 	It's a matter of what is done by the programmer (assuming some
> sort of "proper operation" based on rDNS), versus what may be done by
> the administrator/operator (choosing to configure their machines in a
> particular way so as to require correct rDNS before they allow you to
> proceed).

> 	We want to discourage programmers from depending on something
> like this, while allowing owners/operators/administrators to choose
> to configure their machines in whatever way they feel is appropriate.

Okay, but I still see a subtle point.  According to your message,

- The draft wants to discourage programmers from depending on rDNS for
  "proper operation."
- The draft will still (implicitly?) allow
  owners/operators/administrators to choose depending on rDNS for
  "proper operation."

But,

  Does the draft also ***want to discourage***
  owners/operators/administrators from depending on rDNS for proper
  operation?

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.