To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Kevin Darcy <kcd@daimlerchrysler.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 13:21:44 -0400
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required-04.txt

Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 6:13 PM -0400 2003/04/07, Kevin Darcy wrote:
>
> >  So, if I interpret you correctly, you want to pay lip service to
> >  fixing broken apps (that have broken for years) while at the same
> >  time removing a significant incentive for those apps to get fixed.
>
>         So, if I understand you correctly, we should jump right to
> breaking all applications without any intermediate step where we
> suggest that people stop depending on certain behaviour by default.

It's not the job of the IETF to project-manage each organization's migration
from a standards-non-compliant piece of software to a standards-compliant one.
That's something each organization will have to work out for itself, in its own
way, in its own time.

As for "breaking all applications", it's a little naive to think that everyone
will immediately remove all of their PTR records the moment that the RFC is
published. But, I think if our long-term goal is to eliminate all software
dependencies on reverse DNS, we should at the very least make recommendations
that are consistent with that long-term goal, rather than recommendations, e.g.
"you SHOULD continue to populate reverse DNS" which are plainly incompatible
with that goal. Otherwise, we've got horses pulling the cart in opposite
directions and that doesn't exactly facilitate steady progress...

- Kevin