To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: kent@songbird.com
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 19:03:35 -0700
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required-04.txt

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 02:10:13AM +0200, Brad Knowles wrote:
> >  Yes.  Only the IP address can be relied on.  If you have the IP address,
> >  you don't need the IN-ADDR.
>
> 	Wrong.  It can be a useful piece of information, information that
> may not be around in a few days or a few months, when you decide to
> try to look up that IP address.  It's important not to destroy or
> throw away information unnecessarily.

It should be pointed out that an IP address cannot always be "relied
on", either.  IP addresses and ptr records are just two different kinds
of information, with different characteristics.  The usefulness of
either depends on the context.

As far as the draft is concerned, I believe that its conclusion should
be:

    Population of the inverse tree with useful information should be
    encouraged, but neither required nor relied upon.

Other than that, I think the draft could be expanded to include more
examples of the disparate ways that the inverse tree is actually used
in practice, both good and bad.

Kent