To: Doug Barton <DougB@dougbarton.net>
cc: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, Markus Stumpf <maex-lists-dns-ietf-dnsop@Space.Net>, <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: Dean Anderson <dean@av8.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 23:09:02 -0500 (EST)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required-04.txt

I think you are confusing tcp-wrappers with socks. No doubt that
socks-like library could be made from tcp-wrappers, but I don't think
there has been. Its kind of a mute point though, since as has been pointed
out, no one uses this functionality, and large sites don't run these
servers out of inetd.

Could such services be built? Sure.

Are they built? No.

From the tcp-wrappers readme:
===
There are two ways to use the wrapper programs:

1) The easy way: move network daemons to some other directory and fill
   the resulting holes with copies of the wrapper programs.  This
   approach involves no changes to system configuration files, so there
   is very little risk of breaking things.

2) The advanced way: leave the network daemons alone and modify the
   inetd configuration file.  For example, an entry such as:

     tftp  dgram  udp  wait  root  /usr/etc/tcpd  in.tftpd -s /tftpboot
===

		--Dean