To: Rob Austein <sra+dnsop@hactrn.net>
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 03:52:43 +0200
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required-04.txt

At 5:32 PM -0500 2003/04/02, Rob Austein wrote:

>  Does anybody -else- have comments on this draft?  In particular: does
>  anybody who has not yet spoken on this have an opinion on whether the
>  WG should be working on this?

	I can make some comments on the draft regarding what I believe to
be typos and incorrect grammar.  Is that what you're looking for, or
do you want more substantive discussion?

>  Note to anyone who has not figured this out yet: the title of the
>  draft is old, does not match the content of the draft as it evolved,
>  and most likely would be changed before publication to match the
>  current content of the draft.  Please READ THE DRAFT rather than
>  jumping to conclusions about what it says based on the title.

	Well, I would have thought that my views on this subject were
pretty well known.  I guess my question has to be -- what is the real
purpose of this draft?

	Is the purpose to identify the current actual policies (once
corrected) of the RIRs and mention the issues that have been raised
here, perhaps to bring them to a wider audience?

	If so, then I think this draft is definitely something we should
be working on, but we should make an effort to pull out some of the
more emotionally charged language that has been used in the past, and
to make it relatively neutral and simply state the facts.  We then
collect the feedback, and see if we can get some consensus that would
allow us to lay out a BCP.

	If the purpose is to propose policy changes, then I'm not sure
that this is the right group to handle this topic.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>