To: Jim Reid <Jim.Reid@nominum.com>
cc: Andras Salamon <andras@dns.net>, <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: Dean Anderson <dean@av8.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 11:51:15 -0500 (EST)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [RETRANSMIT] Re: Radical Surgery proposal: stop doingreversefor IPv6.

This is essentially an authentication. However, it is also based on a
false premise, and one that actually blocks more legitimate mail and
little spam.  Most spam comes from infected dialup hosts or rooted colo
hosts, and today most such hosts have trivial forward-reverse entries. So
very little spam is blocked using this "test".  Though perhaps years ago,
this was a rough approximation of dialup.  However, what is more common
today are multihomed mailservers where forward and reverse don't
necessarilly match. This results in "ham" that is blocked.  Spammers
typically have no choice in the DNS configuration, so there is no
correlation between lack of reverse or the presense of reverse, and
sending spam.  In the case of bonafide spamhouses, they have delegated
blocks and control of both forward and reverse, which are typically setup
to satisfy this so-called test.  Few people today use this test for mail,
as a result.  In time, the trend in trivial reverse will result in _only_
ham being blocked.

Another DNS related "heuristic" was domain checking. Out of roughly 100
spams per day, I get only about 3 that don't have valid domains on return
addresses. (I check this by accepting everything on inbound, and not
accepting bad domains on delivery. This results in a bounce, and I count
the bounces.)  So only about 3 percent of the spam has invalid domains.
This isn't a useful heuristic, either.  DNS is not a useful anti-spam
tool.  All users (even spammers) are (presently) authorized customers of
ISP's, and may have access to valid DNS domains.

This is slightly offtopic, though useful as an example of the
misapplication of assumptions about DNS.  However, if you are interested
in the topic of spam control, I suggest you review the material from the
MIT anti-spam conference at www.spamconference.org.

		--Dean