To: <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: Dean Anderson <dean@av8.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 14:18:29 -0500 (EST)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: I think we're looping (fwd)

I don't think anyone is going to come up with an adequate explanation of
why we _must_ keep reverse.  I think we have most clearly demonstrated
that there isn't any valid use of reverse beyond the untrusted convenience
function.

I further agree that some people wholeheartedly believe that one can use
reverse for "full reverse-forward-reverse" checks, even though the harm of
this has been demonstrated to reasonable people.  Those people are not
likely to concede that this is harmful.

There seems to be no point in further debate for the purpose of convincing
people of these harms. This debate was not without purpose, however. The
insistence about the utility of "full reverse-forward-reverse" checks is
clearly proof of the asserted harms to keeping reverse DNS.  So, I think
we should still move to deprecate Reverse for IPV4, and remove it entirely
from IPV6.

		--Dean