To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Kevin Darcy <kcd@daimlerchrysler.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 13:46:01 -0500
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [RETRANSMIT] Re: Radical Surgery proposal: stop doingreversefor IPv6.

I was referring specifically to the use of reverse DNS as a
pseudo-authentication mechanism. Kick out that crutch, and the folks who
were using it will gravitate towards legitimate, crypto-based
authentication mechanisms (which hopefully should be independent of the
underlying -- IPv4 versus IPv6 -- protocol suites). Carry end-node
reverse DNS forward into the IPv6 world, and you'll *never* get rid of
the bogus authentication mechanisms...

                                                            - Kevin