To: Miek Gieben <miekg@atoom.net>, dnsop@cafax.se
From: ted@tednet.nl (Ted Lindgreen)
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 11:37:57 +0100
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: secondary behavior with DNSSEC

[Quoting Miek Gieben, on Mar 20, 11:25, in "secondary behavior w ..."]

> One of the secondaries for the signed .nl zone has not been updated for some
> time now. The signatures it carries are expired on March 10. This means that
> whoever was using this server only gets bad (authoritative) data for .nl.
> If this was for real .nl would have dropped of the earth for all user of this
> nameserver.

A way to prevent this from happening may be to choose
the "expire" time in the SOA more carefully:

- suppose you re-sign the zone every X seconds
- and the lifetime of the signatures is Y seconds
then the expire value should be less or equal to Y-X.

This way, the out-dated secondary would return "SERVFAIL" instead
of authoritatively returning expired signatures.

In practical values: in the experimental DNSSEC .nl zone we re-sign
daily, the signatures live 7 days, thus the expire time should be 6
days (which is much less than the current actual value of 4 weeks!).

I think this should be documented in a BCP.

-- ted