To: itojun@iijlab.net
cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 01:06:53 +0200 (EET)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: dnsop-ipv6-dns-issues-02

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
> >> 	in the end of the talk (hum), you left one option out - icmp6 node
> >> 	information query.
> >Reverse DNS for link-local addresses is an issue, but orthogonal to the
> >problem on the table.
>
> 	you can use icmp6 node information query for global address (and site-
> 	local if you want to) as well.  what are you trying to mean?

Sorry, I should have said s/link-local addresses/link-local nodes/, typo.

Most traffic is not on the local link, rather connecting to service X over
the Internet.  Node information queries are not useful except on the local
link.

Why not?  One could consider why the mechanism is still "stuck" in the
IESG.  I totally agree with not publishing ICMP NI as long as it can be
(ab)used to query off-link nodes.