To: Ed Warnicke <eaw@cisco.com>
cc: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>, Kenneth Porter <shiva@sewingwitch.com>, <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: Dean Anderson <dean@av8.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 23:25:57 -0500 (EST)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ Long OT ]Re: Request for review of DNS related draft

The crux of the issue is this:  You seem to be arguing that there are
insufficent monitoring facilites.  [that is, it would be helpful to have a
monitor ethernet port on a DOCSIS router, or other service provider 'head
end' routers] That could well be true. However, the provider doesn't need
to have a special protocol to find the DOCSIS head end. The provider
already _knows_ where it is from their facility records.  They don't need
a special protocol to tell them where it is and what its address and
network is. They already know this information.

But of course, rather than a special monitor port, what would be better is
a virtual monitor port that is then replicated via a standard vlan
protocol to an even more conveniently located ethernet monitor port.
This is a router software (maybe hardware in some cases) issue. It doesn't
require new protocols.

---- slightly longer version

Whether the network get complicated after the first hop or not, depends on
the network. In most cases, it doesn't get very complicated right away.
In cases where it does get complicated, then it's up to the provider to
	1) adjust the routing so that all that customers packets will go
somewhere it can be easily tapped
	2) Use multiple sniffers to grab all packets for that customer.

If you are using DHCP, then you can either
	1) track that, and update your sniffer filters as the address
changes
	2) Make sure the customer always gets the same address during the
tap. (not very hard, so probably the popular solution)

VOIP presents no additional issues. All packets contain the customer IP
address.  All you have to is grab them. You don't have to decode them. You
don't have to know anything about VOIP. You don't need to know anything
about UDP, or the codec used.  I just suggested to someone that they write
a proprietary encrypted codec.

Regarding the "placing of the sniffer", most switches have the capacity to
designate a port as a "monitor port", which provides a copy of all the
traffic on the monitored port.  This is sufficient for LEA capabilities.
All that is required is an ethernet.  Most of these switches support
10/100/and Gig ether interfaces.

I haven't looked at the specification you mentioned. I will try to do that
in the next day or so.  However, reading what you said, and taking that at
face value, all that seems necessary is an ethernet monitor port.

You seem to be making surveillance into a much bigger job than it is.
People have been doing it for years already. It could be a pain sometimes,
but it is straightforward.  Just pick up the packets, give them to the
LEA. Done.  Don't overthink it.