To: Edward Warnicke <eaw@cisco.com>
cc: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>, Kenneth Porter <shiva@sewingwitch.com>, <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 10:47:54 +0200 (EET)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Request for review of DNS related draft

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Edward Warnicke wrote:
> Could you be more specific about what security considerations
> you see?

Mainly revealing information to anyone that isn't accessible to anyone
except those in the local network at the moment.  Dangerous.

> In terms of operational resistance to use, I'd expect it to be about on
> par with the use of rp and hinfo records. Organizations which find
> utility in having those records populated use them, organizations that
> don't see value don't use them.  I've been in organizations which break
> both ways on hinfo and rp records. If an organization finds value in
> deploying this scheme, they will.  It's a question of applications.

HINFO and RP are *very* rarely used.  They're just not useful (even
dangerous) in the global Internet use.  On th other hand, in a very
restricted network with local domain-names, these (and some others, also)
may be used.