To: Ed Sawicki <ed@alcpress.com>
Cc: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Jim Reid <Jim.Reid@nominum.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 01:41:10 -0800
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Why one port?

    >> How do you propose that we do that?

    Ed> I don't know. Allocate another port and rewrite resolvers,
    Ed> libraries, and recursive name servers/caches?

This is a troll, right? If such a scheme was going to be deployed, we
might as well fix everything else in the DNS that needs fixing. Since
there would be the mother of all flag days, we might as well ensure
that every device on the net got upgraded to the as-yet-undesigned
DNSv2.

Oh and IANA would likely take a dim view of assigning >1 port number
for the same protocol.