To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Daniel Senie <dts@senie.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 18:15:57 -0500
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Why one port?

At 05:10 PM 2/20/2003, bert hubert wrote:
>On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 01:56:19PM -0800, Ed Sawicki wrote:
> > > And indeed, this is a big mistake. Right now, you can't even
> differentiate
> > > based on the RD bit. Compare it to running Squid and Apache both on
> port 80.
> >
> > Shouldn't we try to fix it?
>
>Way, way too late - changing a lot about DNS right now is next to
>impossible, I'm afraid.

Though that was my immediate reaction as well, I'll note the slow
progression with SMTP servers to implement SUBMISSION protocol. That
separation was done for much the same reason. Any change would take close
to forever to complete, and existing servers would have to deal with users
making requests on port 53 pretty much forever, but I it is a process that
could be started.

The question is whether it's worth the effort in this case. Given the price
of hardware, and the availability of virtual machine OS environments, is it
really worth going down this road?