To: Alain Durand <Alain.Durand@Sun.COM>
Cc: randy@psg.com, dnsop@cafax.se
From: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 11:41:48 +1000
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Meeting in SF?

Alain, I was asked by the RIR engineering coordination group to look into
writing a draft on how the RIR would support 6to4 and delegation under
2.0.0.2.ip6.arpa. Due to other work, I haven't yet put pen to paper.

I think your comments about scalability are true, as is the observation
that cooperation from upstream ISPs will be required.

This implicitly demands that the RIR have a mechanism in place to support ISPs
who need to register reverse DNS for these instances.

Putting the scaling issue to one side, the RIR believe that a current
procedure being used for transfer of early registration IPv4 records will
scale well to cover shared management of IPv6 spaces, and IPv4 spaces ongoing.

This mechanism essentially permits the ISPs and address holders to use
existing mechanisms for lodgement of reverse-DNS records via the RIR they
normally work with, and a shared zone management procedure for us to integrate
these discrete records into the zonefile which we then co-assert.

Late last year Randy Bush also asked if we could investigate a process to
expedite support of 6to4 delegation. Now that we are close to having the
shared zone management process bedded in, Its realistic to proceed.

So if I can get a brief draft written up in time, could we discuss this in SF?

cheers

-George