To: DNS Operations <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: Peter Koch <pk@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 14:22:48 +0200
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: anycast

quoting David Conrad:

> There is nothing stopping any ISP from doing what Randy suggested today,
> particularly given several of the root servers allow zone transfer.
> Similarly, there is nothing stopping any ISP from advertising addresses for
> (say) Google and making sure only government approved pages are returned.

this includes ISPs being advised by local or regional authorities to implement
such or similar optimizations. Unfortunately this is too far away from fiction
to be called paranoia.

> To borrow a term from Mr. Bush, it would be "prudent" to wait for DNSSEC
> signing of the root before going down the "pretend to be a root server"
> road.

I'd like to second that. There are various proposals for "alternative"
or "optimized" root server groups/systems which do or do not add additional
TLDs or which "only perform better" in that they provide "accurate" information
compared to the official root zone's content (where some operational changes
currently suffer from interesting delays).

While you can't stop them and probably do not even need to, I'd rather not see
any such approaches endorsed by an IETF working group. I still believe RFC 2826
is a good thing.

-Peter