To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Regis Desmeules <regis.desmeules@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 09:07:38 -0400
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: hostnames of NS in the root zone

Hi there,

As you know, the ccTLD announce the list of their NS through the root zone.
In order to add/modify/remvove NS, the IANA provides a template to list the
primary/secondary hostnames and netaddress of each NS of a ccTLD. I have
specific questions regarding the primary/secondary hostname that must be
filled there.

When I display the list of NS of ccTLDs such as .au, .uk, .jp, .nl and so
on, I realise that no one uses hostname within its first-level domain. The
ccTLDs publish rather hostnames within second-level domain (for the NS on
same root). Is-there any reason about that ?

Suppose I'm the ccTLD .country and I would like to put ns1.country as
primary/seconday hostnames (instead of ns1.foo.country) in the root zone
file, is there any issue or specific problem about that ? Theorically, it
seems to work fine.

Advantages/disavantages ?
Do you recommend that practice (yes/no) ?
Why/ why not ?

Regis

Regis.Desmeules@sympatico.ca
PGP: 06C1 D8DE E290 F96F CA81 B200 1A90 41AB D42F F6E1