To: "Loomis, Rip" <GILBERT.R.LOOMIS@saic.com>
CC: "'dnsop@cafax.se'" <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 13:29:35 +0859 ()
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Interim signing of the root zone.

Rip

> > > as dnssec is finally approaching deployment, it seems
> > > imprudent to rush into a not obviously critical anycast
> > > deployment when a little patience would seem harmless.
>
> > DNSSEC, or any CA-based security, is not really secure and is
> > undeployable for any practical security.
>
> With all due respect, you've made such claims/statements on
> the list before,

And the only counter argument was:

	My teacher taught me differently, I think.

> Please feel free to back up that opinion
> with fact, or don't waste peoples' time with it.

If security is compromized, who pays how much?

Have you ever checked the reality of terms and conditions of CAs?

> Better yet,
> if you think things are slightly broken then propose a fix.
> If you think things are *very* broken then propose a workable
> alternative and explain why things are so broken.

The current DNS is working well with weak security replying on
ISPs.

Those who need additional security should share a secret end to end
without introducing intellignet intermediate entities of CAs.

So, I don't think I have to propose a workable alternative.

Nonetheless, I proposed anycast root, which improves security against
spoofed route.

On the other hand, DNSSEC is unworkable as evidenced by the failed
deployment attempt for so many years.

Observing the failure, I gave an explanation why it is hopeless.

							Masataka Ohta