To: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 11:02:56 +0200
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: the call for bind software

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 04:56:27PM -0400,
 Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca> wrote
 a message of 68 lines which said:

>   As an non-DNS developer (a customer of the domain name service), I am
> suffering from the problem that the only real API that anyone knows about is
> gethostbyname(3)...

<troll>
You mean getaddrinfo(3)?
</troll>

We could just add an error code:

EAI_NOAUTH         DNS records not authentified
EAI_INVALAUTH      DNS authentication failed (invalid or corrupted signature)

With an option in /etc/resolv.conf to express if you want only signed
records or not.

But I'm certain it has already been discussed by DNSSEC people. Check archives.

>     1) was it signed at all?

See above.

>     2) how far am is this data from an axiomatic key?

More complicated issue :-(

>     3) even though some of the signatures may have expired, and it might be
>        that the servers are not reachable to update them, I would still like
>        to get the data if the signatures continue to check out. I want the
>        degraded security to be visible of course! Again for the audit log.

This is starting to look complicated. I suggest to add a new function,
only for that level of security.