To: "Scott Rose" <scottr@antd.nist.gov>
Cc: <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: Johan Ihren <johani@autonomica.se>
Date: 10 Oct 2002 15:32:57 +0200
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Interim signing of the root zone.

"Scott Rose" <scottr@antd.nist.gov> writes:

> Related to the draft topic - I was doing some further research on
> key management and I was wondering why the key rollover scheme in
> the draft was chosen: why so often?

Wow, a technical comment. Thanks, Scott.

There are two reasons:

1. This is an *interim* scheme and as such it is important not to give
   the impression that the trusted key is something to file and
   forget. I.e. I'm trying to avoid anyone putting long term trust
   into these keys.

2. One of the main objectives is to, in the particular context of the
   root zone, gain operational experience with key mgmt, rollovers,
   exchanges between the holders of key signing keys and operational
   keys (since they are likely to continue being separate entities for
   the root zone), etc.

   With long lived keys we won't get nearly as much experience, since
   we'll hang off the same key signing key for years. Furthermore we
   won't get as much experience in how to publish new trusted keys to
   actually get them into as many resolvers as possible.

The bottom line is that this is not a production design that is
optimized for maximum security with minimum cost. Rather it is
designed to be staging area to gain experience while at the same time
not fooling end users into believing they got the final product.

Regards,

Johan

Home | Date list | Subject list