To: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
Cc: randy@psg.com (Randy Bush), edlewis@arin.net, namedroppers@ops.ietf.org, dnsop@cafax.se, dnssec@cafax.se
From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
Date: 16 Jul 2002 01:43:47 -0400
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: dnssec discussion today at noon

Unfortunately you are incorrect.

Public Key Cryptography is absolutely necessary for any
store-and-forward protocol.  Note that I said PKC, not PKI.  The _I_
part (infrastructure) is not necessary in many cases, but the
technology of public key most certainly is.  The problem is that the
alternative, secret-key cryptography, requires each pair of
communicating parties to share a key, resulting in N-squared keys in
the system.  OTOH, with public keys you only need N key-pairs in the
system (each entity has only one key-pair).

Note that the use of public-key cryptography is completely orthogonal
to the issue of transactions or money transfer that you seem to be
bringing into the picture.  I would purport that without public key
cryptography you could have ZERO financial transactions on the
Internet exactly because you could not secure them.  As an example,
look at HTTPS (SSL/TLS) -- without Public Key, SSL would not work.

So, where does DNS and DNSSec fit into this?

First, there is a strong goal to protect the DNS infrastructure.  I
wont go into the numerous types of attacks possible against DNS (feel
free to contact me personally if you really want to go down that
rathole).  Suffice it to say that various cache poisoning and spoofing
attacks can lead users and applications to contact the wrong server
site.

Second, some people believe that, once you have a secured DNS, you
could use it to deliver Public Keys.  You may not believe in Public
Key, but this is not the forum to debate that issue.

Thanks,

-derek