To: Alain Durand <Alain.Durand@sun.com>
cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: ggm@apnic.net
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 10:18:59 +0000
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: draft-durand-ngtrans-dns-issues-00.txt

> --Boundary_(ID_9YQaujQF4/xZHQntVm8C/g)
>

> On Friday, June 28, 2002, at 02:21 AM, ggm@apnic.net wrote:
>

> > I don't understand why you say 6to4 use of 2.0.0.2.ip6.arpa has scaling
> > problems.
> >
> > There was a brief discussion in the corridor at NANOG-Toronto, and as
> > far as I can see, it should be easy to manage the reverse tree for
> > existing
> > IPv4 users by forseeable RIR processes when the time comes.
>
> Can you please elaborate how this will work?
> Will it require collaboration from the IPv4 upstream provider?

If its done top-down yes. if we worked out a way to take existing delegation
rights in 4land, and map them cleaning into 6land, it might be mitigated.

> (i.e. will the delegation under the  2.0.0.2.ip6.arpa follow the same
> path as under in-addr.arpa?

I think so, yes.

> Another way to ask the question is where will 6to4 users have
> to go to get reverse delegation? to their ISP or directly to the RIR?

I think to their ISP.

> How will it work when the IPv4 address is transient, i.e. DHCP allocated
> for a short lease (typically less than a day)?

Isn't this the same for any transient address DNS issue? I don't see a
specific 6 Issue here.

cheers

-George

--