To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Markus Stumpf <maex-lists-dns-ietf-dnsop@Space.Net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 00:23:46 +0200
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: is this proper behavior?

On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 12:26:23PM -0700, Roy Arends wrote:
> No, its not. 29 bytes vs 507 bytes is 1 packet vs 1 packet. broadcast
> related DoS is 1 packet vs N packets.
>
> You're comparing apples and oranges.

Pardon? I compare bytes/bandwidth with bytes/bandwidth.
Nobody denies that splitting the bytes to a lot of packages put more
load on the routers, but if you have a 10 Mbit leased line and you get
loaded with 20 Mbit you dont really care if it's 1 thousand or 1
million packets.

Even worse, as the target has no associated UDP port open (most likely)
the local host additionally generates an outgoing ICMP packet.

Read
    http://www.s0ftpj.org/docs/spj-002-000.txt
for an insight.

And I don't say it doesn't work with djbdns also, it's only not as easy,
because you can't simply send it anything and get an answer.

	\Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299

Home | Date list | Subject list