To: Simon Josefsson <simon+dnsop@josefsson.org>
cc: <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: Philip Hazel <ph10@cus.cam.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 08:39:11 +0000 (GMT)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Minneapolis - agenda items please.

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Simon Josefsson wrote:

> I might have missed it, but does everyone agrees with this draft being
> a good thing?  I still don't see how it can be enforced, and I don't
> see how it harms anyone else but the people that put incorrect
> information in their own DNS zones.

I was encouraged to write the draft, so I assume there are other people
who support it.

It's a BCP document, so there's no concept of "enforcing". It just says
"This is the best way to go about things if you want good interworking."

> Of course, the contents of the draft is good and everyone should
> understand and follow it, but doesn't everyone already?

No. If they did, I wouldn't have written it. It was written because I
and others had encountered enough situations where clueless people had
done the wrong thing. Probably out of ignorance.

> Is there any
> point in caring about the people that doesn't?

Well, not everybody is born knowing everything. There are newbies coming
into this all the time, and having documents available to educate them
is a good thing, IMHO.

Furthermore, if somebody doesn't follow these guidelines, in some cases
it will waste YOUR resources. That's another reason for having a
document to point at.

ph10@cus.cam.ac.uk      Cambridge, England. Phone: +44 1223 334714.

Home | Date list | Subject list