To: Kenneth Porter <shiva@well.com>
cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Jaap Akkerhuis <jaap@sidn.nl>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 10:47:12 +0100
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: SRV records - when?

    On Sun, 2002-02-03 at 13:28, ed@alcpress.com wrote:
    > I hope this is the right place to ask this question - if not please
    > tell me where. It's been a number of years since the creation
    > of the protocol-independent SRV resource record yet I know
    > of no web browsers that implement it for HTTP. I've contacted
    > web browser manufacturers and they show no interest in using
    > it.

    At least for Open Source clients, check out http://ruli.sourceforge.net.
    RULI is a client library for dealing with SRV records.

Nice work, but note the Applicability Statement in the SRV RFC:

   In general, it is expected that SRV records will be used by clients
   for applications where the relevant protocol specification indicates
   that clients should use the SRV record. Such specification MUST
   define the symbolic name to be used in the Service field of the SRV
   record as described below. It also MUST include security
   considerations. Service SRV records SHOULD NOT be used in the absence
   of such specification.

So to promote the use of SRV, one should also update the RFC's for
the application protocols, defining the symbolic name etc.

	jaap

Home | Date list | Subject list