To: "Larson, Matt" <mlarson@verisign.com>
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Erik Nordmark <Erik.Nordmark@eng.sun.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 17:48:36 +0100 (CET)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: RE: draft-ietf-dnsop-dontpublish-unreachable-02.txt

> > 	a very rough draft for IPv6 counterpart is attached.
> >      please let me
> > 	know if you want to integrate two it one, or want to handle them
> > 	separately.
>
> We're in the process of adding IPv6 support to the com/net/org registry.  We
> are currently planning on disallowing name servers (i.e., glue AAAA records)
> containing IPv4-mapped or IPv4-compatible addresses.  This plan would be in
> conflict with Itojun's proposed section 2.5, which allows IPv4-compatible
> addresses (though I noticed the parenthetical caveat).

There is move underway to obsolete IPv4-compatible addresses and the
associated automatic tunneling specified in RFC 2893, but this is not
a done deal yet.

But unless there is strong arguments for needing IPv4-compatible addresses
I'd say keeping the DNS operationally "clean" would argue for not allowing
them.

  Erik

Home | Date list | Subject list