To: bmanning@ISI.EDU
Cc: ipng@sunroof.eng.sun.com, dnsop@cafax.se, ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com
From: JINMEI Tatuya / $B?@L@C#:H(B <jinmei@isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 14:45:13 +0900
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: reverse delegation under ip6.arpa.?

(Based on a suggestion from Randy, I'm cc'ing this message to the
dnsop and ngtrans MLs.  I've dropped namedroppers but still keep the
ipng ML.  Please refer to the attached message to follow the thread
context.)

> % I'd also like to know the current policy on this.  The current status
> % is really confusing and can be a serious barrier to deploy IPv6.
> %
> % Honestly, if we are allowed to live with the current spec
> % (i.e. ip6.int. with the nibble format), I'll be really happy.
> % However, the transition to ip6.arpa is inevitable, we should be ready
> % for this as soon as possible, both in operation and in implementation.

> The IETF policy is clear. ip6.arpa.  It is also true that this policy was
> not based on any technical grounds. That said, the IETF has also depricated
> RIP.  And there are still some questions about the bitstring format vs nibble
> format.  So I intend to continue to use the proven format for now, at least
> until there are strong technical reasons to migrate.

Let me confirm, do you mean the bitstring vs nibble format by the
"proven format", or does it include the upper domain (i.e. ip6.int. vs
ip6.arpa.)?

Anyway, through the responses so far, I feel we must definitely move
to ip6.arpa. (regardless of the bitstring vs nibble issue).  The
migration should cause additional pain to deploy IPv6, but, with the
reality, we should start the migration now...

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					jinmei@isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp