To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: bert hubert <ahu@ds9a.nl>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 16:05:27 +0200
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsop-dontpublish-unreachable-00.txt

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 08:40:35PM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:

> A much better approach, rather than attempting to create some totally
> unenforceable rules, would be to simply explain the problems, and advise
> people how to avoid them, and why they should.

The major argument being that 'your' 10.1.2.3 MX server may not be 'my'
10.1.2.3. I've seen this:

	@	IN	MX 	10	smtp
	smtp	IN	A	10.1.2.3
	smtp	IN	A	1.2.3.4

A lot of people consider this 'cool' as it allows their mail to be delivered
straight to the exchange server, without having to pass the firewall.

But it all breaks down tremendously when I also have a 10.1.2.3. Education
is better than saying 'it is forbidden', indeed.

Regards,

bert
(who has unroutable addresses in his zone because it makes sense for him)

Home | Date list | Subject list