To: Daniel Senie <dts@senie.com>
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: John Schnizlein <jschnizl@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 08:41:19 -0400
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsop-dontpublish-unreachable-00.txt

At 08:00 AM 9/10/2001, Daniel Senie wrote:
>.. My concern centers around the draft's assumption that there are two types of environments, public and private, and that it is easy to tell the difference.

The goal that a DNS client should only get a lookup for addresses it can
reach is laudable. If the draft could be improved to handle the situations
in which the distinction between public and private is not clear, it should
advance.

A particular situation to consider is the one in which a site makes some
services (therefore hosts) available to partners only. Another is the
provision of a set of hosts that are available to a consortium of other
sites. These situations occur in nature, and are not easily solved with
the classic split DNS. An informational draft on methods to support these
situations would be welcome even if we cannot standardize the goal.

John

Home | Date list | Subject list