To: Johan Ihren <johani@autonomica.se>
Cc: "Tony Hain" <alh-ietf@tndh.net>, "Nathan Jones" <nathanj@optimo.com.au>, ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com, namedroppers@ops.ietf.org, ipng@sunroof.eng.sun.com, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 17:57:32 +0900
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: (ngtrans) Joint DNSEXT & NGTRANS summary

>I'm pointing out that due to the configuration change that will follow
>from deployment of v6 roots it will be comparatively easy to reach all
>the caching resolvers (i.e. name servers) on v6 transport to ensure
>that they all do AAAA synthesis.

	isn't it just a root.hint change, not a server replacement?

	as I have pointed out repeatedly, AAAA synthesis has its own problems
	and I don't feel like deploying it.
	(1) A6 chasing is traffic multiplication = DoS possibility (recursive
	    servers),
	(2) it is unclear as to how will be doing AAAA synthesis, and we cannot
	    ensure that it will happen at the leaf
	(3) by deploying AAAA synthesis you end up maintaining both A6 and AAAA:
	(3a) impose lookup delays to IPv6 clients.
	(3b) server admins need to maintain both A6 and AAAA in zoen file,
	     which is unhappy.

>However, while agreeing that the deployed base of AAAA-aware caching
>resolvers on the IPv4-only Internet is large it is less clear to me
>how many of those actually care about v6 address records at all. Nor
>is it clear how many of those that will start to care before having
>upgraded their name server software (which contrary to popular belief
>actually happens, although certainly not to all of them).

	a lot of them do care about AAAA records, since IPv6 people are forced
	to use IPv4 infrastructure.

itojun

Home | Date list | Subject list