To: "Nathan Jones" <nathanj@optimo.com.au>, <ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com>, <namedroppers@ops.ietf.org>, <ipng@sunroof.eng.sun.com>, <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: "Tony Hain" <alh-ietf@tndh.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 18:45:26 -0700
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: RE: (ngtrans) Joint DNSEXT & NGTRANS summary

Well I told the other chairs to let the discussion on this
thread continue through today as a mechanism to allow
consensus to emerge, and then I would step up and try to
summarize. As Matt noted in originating the thread there was
no absolutely overwhelming position by those in the room in
London, but to a degree that really doesn't matter. What
matters is the position of those participating in the mail
lists. What the question in London did was allow the chairs
and IESG observers to gauge the distinction between a few
very loud voices vs. a broad based level of support, and
gauge how many had a willingness to express an opinion on
the subject (which from what I could tell was everyone).

Nathan and Bernard have a good start to the summary, in
terms of boiling down the essential viewpoints. The things
I would add from the discussion include:

- It is clear that we know how to make A6 resolvers deal with
  AAAA clients.
- It appears that with current tools A6 reduces the burden of
  renumbering on the zone administrator.
- It is not clear that renumbering will occur faster than a
  AAAA zone file could be resigned.
- It is clear that we could evolve from AAAA to A6 later if
  it became necessary.

Additionally:
- It is clear that on either path we need better tools for
  DNS management.
- It is also clear that address renumbering can't be solved
  simply through DNS magic.

Shortly, an Internet-Draft will be sent to the lists that
describes the rough consensus (possibly very rough) of the
joint group and recommends a course of action to the IESG.
For this reason it would be inappropriate for the IESG to be
asked to arbitrate the creation of a recommendation to
themselves. While the WG chairs are listed as authors, it is
still an I-D subject to comment and editing like any other.
If you feel the positions presented in the draft do not
represent the collective working group opinion, speak up.

Tony