To: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net>
Cc: "Tony Hain" <alh-ietf@tndh.net>, "Nathan Jones" <nathanj@optimo.com.au>, ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com, namedroppers@ops.ietf.org, ipng@sunroof.eng.sun.com, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Johan Ihren <johani@autonomica.se>
Date: 14 Aug 2001 15:27:04 +0200
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: (ngtrans) Joint DNSEXT & NGTRANS summary

Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net> writes:

> >I think that such evolution will quickly move from the realm of clear
> >possibilities to "things that simply will not happen" as the base of
> >resolvers that serve AAAA clients but doesn't do AAAA synthesis grows.
> >
> >Today it would be easy, since the resolver base is small and mostly
> >based upon various versions of bind9 that will (all?) be upgraded to a
> >version with AAAA synthesis built in.
>
> 	the observation seems misleading to me.  BIND4/8 happily serves AAAA
> 	client (over IPv4 UDP/TCP), therefore, the resolver base is already
> 	quite big for AAAA.

Ahem. Let me put it this way:

If we look at DNS configuration for the v6 part of the world it is at
present based upon various kinds of ugliness to get around the fact
that there is almost no hierarchy deployed over v6 transport (starting
with the lack of roots accessible over v6 transport).

The most common is to use a forwarding configuration to escape over to
the v4 transport universe with full DNS connectivity.

*All* this will have to change over the coming years if or when or
wherever we decide to start deploying roots accessible over v6
transport.

So, regardless of whether the present numbers of deployed resolvers is
large or small (I think it is small compared to what we hope to have
in three years, you think it is large compared to what we had three
years ago, both positions are fine) it is still not a problem since
their configurations will all change when v6 roots appear.

However, the point of v6 root deployment is the *only* time in IPv6
history that we will be able to make such a change (push a
configuration change like AAAA synthesis into all corners) which is
one of several reasons why we should be (and are) so very careful
before introducing v6 glue for the roots.

When I talked about experimental deployment of v6 roots during dnsop
in Minneapolis I was clearly overly optimistic about the
timeframe. And while the A6 vs AAAA issue has been one reason for
delay it is not the only concern.

Johan

PS. On the other hand, I do understand your argument about old bind4/8
serving AAAA over v4 transport. And, yes, the consequence is that
clients on the IPv4 Internet will not find the AAAAddresses of
whatever they are trying to lookup. No one said this was easy. DS.

Home | Date list | Subject list