To: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net>, Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
Cc: ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com, namedroppers@ops.ietf.org, ipng@sunroof.eng.sun.com, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Nathan Jones <njones@connect.com.au>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 22:54:28 +1000
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: (ngtrans) Joint DNSEXT & NGTRANS summary

itojun wrote:
>   you should care about this.  there's no guarantee that AAAA synthesis
>   happen between end client and master/slave nameservers.  AAAA will
>   leak from leaf to the core.

David Terrell's suggestion that AAAA synth be performed by
nameservers which are authoritative for zones with A6 data seems
worth considering here.

DNS admins can then use A6 without fear that their hosts will not be found.
Over time, the authoritative nameserver will not have to synthesise AAAA
records as frequently, as it will receive more requests for A6 RRs. This
increase in A6 requests will come from the normal uptake of resolvers that
support A6 and perform AAAA synth for the remaining base of non-A6 stub
resolvers.

>   if people query both AAAA and A6, there will be more delays.

People won't always query both RR types. The idea of transition is to
move to A6; once there is wide spread use of A6 records and resolvers
that query for A6 records, there won't be frequent querying for both.

>>  | 	(3b) server admins need to maintain both A6 and AAAA in zoen file,
>>  | 	     which is unhappy.
>>No, only A6 records, that's what AAAA synthesis is all about, remember...
>
>   you seem to be assuming that there's some AAAA synthesis server
>   between IPv6 end node and nameservers.  your assumption does not hold,
>   especially during the transition period.  because the assumption
>   does not hold, zone admins need to maintain AAAA records too.

It is only during the transition period that this assumption does not
hold true. The result of the transition is that there is an AAAA synth
server between the IPv6 end node and the nameserver. It is only during
the transition that AAAA records will be maintained alongside A6 records.

(And once again, if you run a nameserver that can do AAAA synth, then
you don't even need to maintain AAAA records too.)

Lastly, there seems to be a number of people here supporting A6 in
principle, but saying that we should shelve the idea now and consider
it later. Surely it is preferable to follow those principles now,
rather than putting the idea in the "too hard basket"...

--
njones

Home | Date list | Subject list