To: kre@munnari.OZ.AU (Robert Elz)
Cc: bmanning@ISI.EDU (Bill Manning), ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com, ipng@sunroof.eng.sun.com, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 13:42:30 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: (ngtrans) Joint DNSEXT & NGTRANS summary

% Hogwash.
	Actually, the correct response here is "Sheep Dip" :)

%   | 	we can do the following:
%   |
%   | 	a) move one proposal somewhere else on the standards track
%
% You actually mean off the standards track.

	Well, we could do that too.  ISIS/OSPF ended up spending
	-lots- of time at different places on the stds track.
	For the AAAA/A6 debate that is tabled, I'd rather see
	one moved off the stds track to experimental.

%   | 	Because I beleive that A6 has enough potential, I'm willing
%   | 	to have it move to experimental, giving developers and
%   | 	operators more time to understand its impact.  I think that
%   | 	long term, its benefits will overshadow AAAA and that a
%   | 	migration plan can be deployed.
%
% No, assuming you're right, long term what will happen is that people
% will lament that the wrong decision was made in 2001, but regret that
% there's no way to transition any more, the combination of resolvers
% doing only AAAA lookups, and servers providing only AAAA records, means
% there's no clean way to get out from under (sure, servers could provide
% A6 records as well, but they'll have to keep providing AAAA records
% forever to keep the old resolvers happy, and resolvers could do A6 lookups
% but they'd have to fall back on doing AAAA so they can find names that
% are only available that way - given that AAAA would have to remain, and
% resolvers would have to do lookups of it, just for practical reasons,
% there's no way to actually transition to A6).

	Cynic. (nee realist?)

%
% kre
%