To: "'Randy Bush'" <randy@psg.com>, alh-ietf@tndh.net
Cc: ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com, namedroppers@ops.ietf.org, ipng@sunroof.eng.sun.com, dnsop@cafax.se
From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker@verisign.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 09:07:41 -0700
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: RE: (ngtrans) Joint DNSEXT & NGTRANS summary

NAT is here and will stay irregardless of what the IETF might want.

The principal benefit of NAT to many businesses is that it is a very
effective means of cutting off approximately 80% of network security
problems at a stroke. Less functionality is precisely what these users want.

On the home user front the popularity of NAT is increasing as people
discover that a $100 box from Frys allows them to plug four computers into
the home network instead of one.

Rather than demanding that the network change to match the protocols it is
time to accept the fact that for the next twenty years at least NAT is going
to be a part of the infrastructure and look for ways in which that mode of
use can be supported without denying the end user a substantial degree of
functionality.

Since the only part of a TCP/IP session that needs the external address is
the initial setup, why not design protocols that allow that part to be
delegated to a third party 'connection server'? After all any personal
presence type protocol will need some form of static server since the user
will hop between devices even if the devices themselves had static
addresses. The trick would be to find some way to get the NAT boxes to
cooperate.

		Phill

Phillip Hallam-Baker FBCS C.Eng.
Principal Scientist