To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
cc: Daniel Senie <dts@senie.com>, ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com, namedroppers@ops.ietf.org, ipng@sunroof.eng.sun.com, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 12:56:41 -0400
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: (ngtrans) Joint DNSEXT & NGTRANS summary

>   | So, the question is, to
>   | use this effectively, do zones have to be set up with their TTL set to 60
>   | seconds?
>
> No, bit when you set a TTL on a record in the DNS, that's a promise that
> the data isn't going to change from the time someone fetches the record
> until the TTL has expired.

actually, it's not.   if that were the case, we could never change
a name-to-address binding without first setting TTL to zero (or
providing a mechanism that allows them to diminish to zero)
and waiting for older TTLs to expire.

it's somewhat more realistic to say that a TTL indicates (for an address
record) that any services referred to by the DNS name will continue to be
available at that IP address until the TTL expires, if they're available
at all.

it's even more realistic to say that TTL indicates the amount of time
for which the DNS administrator is willing to accept that the services
associated with the DNS name will be effectively unavailable, should
he/she need to change the addresses.

Keith

Home | Date list | Subject list