To: "Robert Elz" <kre@brandenburg.cs.mu.OZ.AU>
Cc: <ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com>, <namedroppers@ops.ietf.org>, <ipng@sunroof.eng.sun.com>, <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: "Tony Hain" <alh-ietf@tndh.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 14:53:20 +0100
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: RE: (ngtrans) Joint DNSEXT & NGTRANS summary

Robert Elz wrote:

I have no arguments with your comments other than:

> The only real problems are that with IPv4 we
> allowed the IP addresses to be configured everywhere ...

If *configuration* were the 'only' problem it might be possible
to fix renumbering. The fact that applications expect they need
to know about the addresses in use will compound the problem
such that it will be very difficult if not impossible to make
renumbering completely transparent. I have no doubt we can find
a way to completely automate renumbering, but I seriously doubt
that we can 'fix' all of the application developers, and their
products. Given this state, the end user will be exposed to
renumbering events. We either accept this and find a way to
scale routing without renumbering, or accept that NAT will
persist.

Tony

Home | Date list | Subject list