To: Daniel Senie <dts@senie.com>
cc: plzak@arin.net, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Bruce Campbell <bruce.campbell@apnic.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 13:07:50 +1000 (EST)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: RE: comment on draft-ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required-02.txt

On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Daniel Senie wrote:

> At 05:29 PM 8/7/01, Ray Plzak wrote:
> >Providing servers for in-addr service is not the same as setting ptr records
> >for hosts.  I agree that the managers of space on bit boundaries, ie, /8,
>
> And this is really a key point. End users should be allowed to use INADDR,
> if they want to use it. I've been wrestling with this for a while, in terms
> of what the draft needs to say here. I think a reasonable set of statements
> might be somthing along the lines of:
>
> - those providing the address space MUST provide INADDR service, either
> themselves or by delegating zones to those using the space.

In the case of the Registries, this means delegating the appropriate /16
or /24s to the organisation which has just received a CIDR allocation from
the Registry; all RIRs have polices for this already in place.

These policies generally allow the RIR to revoke a delegation in order to
protect the RIR's infrastructure.  Can this be expressly stated in the
draft as well, ie:

	Regional Internet Registries and any Local Registries to whom they
	delegate SHOULD establish and convey a policy to those to whom
	they delegate blocks that require IN-ADDR mappings.  These
	policies MAY be used by the Registry to revoke or reject a
	delegation that does not meet these stated policies.

( the rest of the original paragraph is then best stated in an additional
  paragraph. )

--
  Bruce Campbell <bruce.campbell@apnic.net>                +61-7-3367-0490
                      Systems Administrator     Regional Internet Registry

Home | Date list | Subject list